A best table saw blade is an important piece of equipment for a woodworker, but it can be difficult to choose the right one. It’s not just about the cost; you also need to know what type of blade you will use and how often. You should find blades that are sharp and have a high quality construction as well as easy installation. We’ve made this process easier by providing details on three popular brands: Amana Tool Company, SawStop Professional Cabinet Saw Blades, and Freud Industrial Table Saw Blades.
What makes these blades different? What are some features that make them stand out from the rest? Which ones are worth your investment? Read more now to learn more!
Table of Contents
- Top 10 Best Table Saw Blades to Buy in 2021
- 5 Best Table Saw Blade for Ripping Hardwood
- 5 Best Table Saw Blade for Plywood
- What is a table saw blade?
- Types of table saw blades
- Key Factors To Consider When Buying a Table Saw Blade
- How to Maintenance Table Saw Blades?
Top 10 Best Table Saw Blades to Buy in 2021
5 Best Table Saw Blade for Ripping Hardwood
5 Best Table Saw Blade for Plywood
What is a table saw blade?
A table saw is a power tool designed to rip or cut long boards and large pieces of wood. Table saw blades can be either made from straight steel or tungsten carbide coated. Steel blades are relatively cheaper but will not stay sharp as long as a tungsten carbide-coated one. Tungsten carbide coating also makes the blade more durable than a steel one because of its hardness. Nevertheless, there are serious disadvantages when using tungsten carbide coated blades because you need much more time to set up your workpiece and also care must be taken when sharpening the blade.
Types of table saw blades
There are different types of table saw blades available today, each with its own use. For example, there are general purpose blades that are ideal for basic cutting projects; finish carpentry, crosscutting (for ripping) , plywood and laminate work; back splinting lumber and those made specifically for hardwoods . There are also heavy-duty blades designed to make thicker, rougher cuts in hardwood.
Table saw blades are classified based on the number of teeth and the thickness of the blade, and they come in various sizes. The following is a brief description of each type:
- Thin Kerf – this has fewer teeth but a thinner profile compared to other kinds of table saw blades. This is particularly good for ripping thin material because it wastes less wood when used than other types. However, it will leave wider kerfs or grooves along rip cuts made with it as well as the possibility that the cut material may split easily if pushed through too fast.
- Medium-tooth count– these usually have between 10 and 16 teeth per inch (TPI) and are suitable for cutting medium amounts of wood at one time. They can also be used to cut materials with different thicknesses and are easy to set up.
- High-tooth count – these blades have more than 16 teeth per inch (TPI) and are ideal for cutting hardwoods; they can also be used when cutting large pieces of wood or plywood. This type is harder to set up compared to others, but the cuts made on them tend to be clean and smooth especially if you use a clean rip blade designed specifically for table saws.
If buying an all-purpose blade, choose one that has a good tooth count because this will allow you to perform both crosscutting and ripping operations easily when making projects out of different types of woods. A high-quality material should also be used in making the blade because this will provide durability and make it last for a long time.
Key Factors To Consider When Buying a Table Saw Blade
If you are buying a table saw blade, then there are some things that you will have to consider. These factors include the following:
The size of the blade
Table saw blades can come in different sizes, and it is best if you choose one that will be suitable for your table saw. If you want to cut more boards, then go for a bigger table saw blade.
The material of the plate
Materials used for making these plates can vary from one type of blade to another. This includes materials like carbon steel or even titanium which makes them durable and help them last longer than expected.
The cost of the product
You should always check on this factor especially if you are working with something within your budget. Be wary of buying a product that might cost you more than what you can afford at the moment.
The brand of the table saw blade
It is necessary to check on this factor, especially nowadays when there are so many brands available in the market. It would help if you can easily distinguish between them and decide which one will work best for your needs.
Other important features to look for when buying table saw blades include:
– A thinner kerf, which helps cut large pieces of wood more quickly. But this may cause the material being cut to split.
– The number of teeth per inch (TPI). The bigger the number of TPI, the smoother the finished cuts are.
– Precision made parts that keep rotating balance. This results in smooth operation and reduced vibration while cutting wood.
– A good coating makes it easier to set up and reduces friction between the blade and lumber during cutting operations. Some coatings also help prevent rusting of table saw blades even if they have been used over long periods.
– How well the blade is designed to handle side thrust or cutting force which comes from either the lumber being pushed away from the operator or pulled towards him when making cuts on the table saw. However, this feature should only be considered if you are buying a specific type of blade for heavy work as opposed to buying an all-purpose blade. Your choice of blade will affect how smooth your cuts are and how easy it is to set up your table saw, in addition to added safety considerations. Table saws can cause injuries if they are used improperly so always follow manufacturer’s instructions when buying one and using it for woodworking projects at home or at work.
How to Maintenance Table Saw Blades?
Table saw blades are the most important parts of any table saw. Blade maintenance is very essential in ensuring maximum productivity and efficiency from your table saws. If you want to get the best out of your table saw, it’s must to take good care of its blade. These following tips can help you make sure your blades are well-maintained.
Clean the Table Saw Blades Frequently
Cleaning off dust and debris is necessary because it will provide sufficient space for air circulation to keep your blades cool. Accumulation of dirt and metal shards may cause friction that cause work-piece deflection on wood surface resulting in inaccurate cuts or even kickback injuries which could cause death or serious injury. Make sure to clean the table above the blade, underside of the table top including rails and legs. Cleaning the saw blades is very important to ensure that it makes accurate cuts.
Keep Your Saw Blades Sharpened
The teeth on your table saw blades will become dull with use, and it needs be sharpened regularly for smooth operation. If you let them get too dull they are more likely to chip or break rather than make a clean cut. Accurate cuts are essential if you want a nice-looking work piece and good board performance during assembly operations. You should sharpen your saw blades as soon as there’s significant dullness in tooth edges, burn marks on wood material or grinding noises while cutting wood pieces. A worn out blade requires replacement when it is no longer able to make accurate cuts.
Check the alignment of the Blade
Blade alignment is very essential in ensuring smooth operation and durability because it directs your blade across work pieces or even cutters. It determines how well your table saw blade will be working on a specific project. Proper alignment ensures that the teeth of your blades are exactly parallel with their width (at 90 degrees) to minimize material tear-out, kickback, inaccurate miter cuts and deflection. Check if any adjustment has been made to ensure its accuracy by using a square checker tool on left and right sides of the blades as well as front side of the blade near arbor flange. This way you’ll know if there’s any problem in buying Best Table Saw Blade.
Properly Oil the Blade
Table saw blade is exposed to high temperature and harsh working environment, it needs to be kept well lubricated. Lubricating your blades allows the machine’s energy to be transferred into cutting wood pieces instead of excessive heat build-up. The Tablelubricant prevents friction in moving parts of the machine to make effective contact with each other resulting in smooth operation of components inside the machine as well as on its exterior surface. Proper maintenance will get you better performance from buying Best Table Saw Blade.